Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Technology in the Classroom: Blogs

 

Scrabble tiles spelling "blog"

What is Educational Blogging

In my Educational Technology class, we've had to create several blogs about what we are passionate about in the classroom.  These educational blogs allow teachers to express their opinions and beliefs about teaching and its culture and act as a platform to do so.  This soapbox, so to speak, invites discussions and analysis from both peers and students alike.  In addition to just sharing opinions, a piece from Edutopia recommends that teachers share their resources for other educators to use.  At the end of the day, educational blogging is about sharing your ideas and practices in relation to the classroom with other teachers, students, parents, and administrators.


What I Have Learned From Peers

A student sketching

Through my Educational Technology class, I have been exposed to ideas and topics from other students that I had previously yet to consider.  For instance, my classmate Bailey Timmer wrote a blog about the Whole Child Approach to teaching.  I was previously unfamiliar with this concept, but she laid out what it was and how it could and should be used and I agreed with her argument.  Another blog important to me was Tom Frank's blog about the importance of the arts in school.  He discusses how the Arts are vital in schools for students and their social and mental development.  A third blog I found interesting was Kate Shelton's blog on teachers' salaries.  She brings up many reasons why teachers should be paid more, and I couldn't agree more.  By reading through my peers' blogs, I feel that I have learned more about the profession and the problems I'll have to face within it.


My Thoughts on Blogging

Over the past four weeks, I've maintained and updated my blog about important issues in education to me.  During this time, I've learned a lot about blogging and how it could be used.  It could be the cynic in me, but blogging seems a little antiquated for my taste.  I'm sure there are situations where blogging can be a great medium (and maybe education will prove to be one of these), but feels like there are much better options now.  Blogs just don't feel like a necessity for a high school class to me.  I think that now there are much better means to communicate with students, parents, peers, and administrators that are simpler and more effective.  As of now, I don't plan on integrating blogging into my classroom for myself or for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology in the Classroom: Blogs

  Scrabble tiles spelling "blog" What is Educational Blogging In my Educational Technology class, we've had to create several ...